Sunday, March 20, 2011

Our lovely friend Q

Our lovely friend Q died on Thurs - at home in her husband's arms surrounded by her family and her priest, with prayers and love.  She was 33. God seems to have a soft spot for people who die at that age.  She was a wonderful woman who touched many people's lives and hearts.

There is of course a deep paradox at the heart of a Christian attitude to death. Shakespeare puts it like this:

Clown: "Good madonna, give me leave to prove you a fool."
Olivia: "Can you do it?"
C: "Dexterously, good madonna."
O: "Make your proof."
C: "I must catechise you for it, madonna: good my mouse of virtue, answer me."
O: "Well, sir, for want of other idleness, I'll bide your proof."
C: "Good madonna, why mournest thou?"
O: "Good fool, for my brother's death."
C: "I think his soul is in hell, madonna."
O: "I know his soul is in heaven, fool."
C: "The more fool, madonna, to mourn for your brother's soul being in heaven. Take away the fool, gentlemen."

Yet Jesus wept at the death of Lazarus, even though he knew he would raise him back to life.

No comments: