Monday, December 22, 2014

St Nicholas + Merry Christmas!

from St Nicholas Icon
courtesy Wikipedia
The sermon on Sunday made a strong case for reclaiming Santa Claus ie St Nicholas of Myra as an important Christian symbol. Christmas is widely "celebrated" in China and Vietnam and elsewhere and it really won't do to say "there is no Santa Claus" because there is - St Nicholas was undoubtedly a real person.

To my shame I'm very ignorant about his life, and didn't even know that he was present at the Council of Nicea or that he is the patron saint of sailors.

When the children were young and asked if Santa Claus were real I would say yes, and he has many helpers.

Lots of joyful family things happening and people staying so not sure how much blogging I'll be able to do. If I don't blog before then, I wish every reader

A very merry and blessed Christmas!

No comments: