Saturday, March 26, 2016

Back from Beijing - Good Friday and R3

R3 Restaurant Beijing
Back from a fascinating trip to Beijing and HK - mostly unbloggable alas. My one regret is that the meetings I attended meant I couldn't get to the Sunday Service with my friends at the South Cathedral and their website gave no indication of when their Good Friday Service was. So I went to the North Cathedral and joined the Stations of the Cross in Chinese - following as best I could from an English version of the liturgy on my mobile. The Church was of course packed.

The UK Ambassador and the UK Consul General in HK kindly held receptions for us in their Residences and we had a number of distinguished guests and old and new friends. In Beijing the wonderful violinist Xi Chen - the youngest person to win a medal at the International Tchaikovsky Violin Competition - kindly played two peices - Elgar's Salut d'Amour and the iconic theme from Schindler's List.

On Friday some kind Chinese friends took my colleague and me to the R3 restuarant which is an absolute find. The delightful French Maitre d' Sarah Benahmed and her fiance the Chef used to work in a Michelin starred restaurant in Paris and will certinaly do very well here.  Of course the Chef knows Amandine the Chef at the Rosewood in London - small world!

Horribly early flight back (0635) but we had a brilliant GB sports team on board, the Boccia team which contains serveral World and Olympic Champions.

No comments: