Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter, do not cling to me, and Psalm 118

Traditional Site of noli me tangereChurch of the Holy Sepulchre
By Deror avi courtesy Wikipedia

Happy Easter!

The Lord is Risen - Allelulia.

Lovely Easter Service at Church with very good sermon from Simon the Vicar. The passage, John 20.1-17 is one of the most moving in the whole Bible, and so obviously authentic. The translation in the Vulgate of  "noli me tangere" gives the impression that Mary didn't touch Jesus but on this the NIV is right and the correct translation is "Do not hold on to me" or even (according to EDNT quoting BAGD s.v.2a) "stop clinging to me."

Simon also quoted Tom Wright who writes of officiating at his father's furneral. "It is like saying: good night, sleep well, see you in the morning.  We don't know when the morning will come, but we are certain that it will arrive."

As an Easter gift, here is an Easter Psalm, which I finished translating on Palm Sunday in Beijing.

​Psalm 118

Give thanks to The LORD for He is good
For His mercy endures forever!
O let the house of Israel now say
That His mercy endures forever!
O let the house of Aaron now say
That His mercy endures forever!
O let those in awe of The LORD now say
That His mercy endures forever!


In my distress I called out to God
God answered me in a broad place.
The LORD is for me, I shall not fear
For what can mere mortals do to me?
The LORD is for me and is my help
And I'll see this in my enemies.
It's better to take shelter in The LORD
Than trust in mere humanity
It's better to take shelter in The LORD
Than trust in rulers or princely power


All the nations surrounded me
In the name of The LORD I will cut them off
They surrounded me, yes they encircled me
In the name of The LORD I will cut them off
Surrounded like bees, but burned out like thorn fire
In the name of The LORD I will cut them off.


They pushed and pressured to make me fall
But The LORD he came to my aid and helped

God is my strength and God is my song
And has become my salvation.


A voice of prayer and salvation rises
In the tents of the righteous ones
The LORD's right hand has achieved success
The LORD's right hand is exalted high
The LORD's right hand has achieved success


I shall not die but instead shall live
And proclaim God's wondrous works
With punishments God has punished me
But not given me to death.


O open to me gates of righteousness
I'll enter them and will thank God
This indeed is the gate of The LORD
The righteous shall enter it.
I'll give you praise for you answered me
And you were my salvation


The stone that the builders rejected has
Become the cornerstone.
This was The LORD's doing, it
Is wondrous in our eyes!
 

This is the day that The LORD has made
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
O please LORD bring us salvation, please
O please LORD prosper us, please.
 

Blessed is he who comes in the name of The LORD
We bless you from the house of The LORD
God is The LORD and he's shined on us
Tie the offering in ropes to the horns of the altar
 

You are my God and I'll give you thanks
My God and I'll lift you up
Give thanks to The LORD for He is good
For His mercy endures forever!

No comments: