Saturday, November 19, 2016

Remain - or "I knew a young man"

Although I voted for Remain and campaigned quite hard for the result, the decision is made. I'm very encouraged that we have Theresa May and PM and confident she will make the best job possible. But please forgive this whimsy...


I knew a young man who was thoroughly vex-ed
That people in England had voted for Brexit
He took a position in the USA
The voters for Brexit had driven him away
Perhaps he will stay?

This young man I knew got a terrible hump
When American voters elected the Trump
He said “from this country I’ll get away far”
And he took a position in Austria
He left his home country because he was vex-ed
That people in England had voted for Brexit
The voters for Brexit had driven him away
Perhaps he will stay?

This young man I knew said “I’ve gotta be off – for
The Austrian voters have voted in Hofer
These ignorant voters have led me a dance
I’ll take a position in sensible France"
He’d left the US in a terrible hump
When American voters elected the Trump
He left his home country because he was vex-ed
That people in England had voted for Brexit
The voters for Brexit had driven him away
Perhaps he will stay?

This young man I knew said “They’ve done it again
The French have gone mad and elected Le Pen!
I came here from Austria, whence I was off – for
The Austrian voters had voted in Hofer
I’d left the US in a terrible hump
When American voters elected the Trump
I left my home country because I was vex-ed
That people in England had voted for Brexit
These clodhopping voters just leave me one course…"

He’s back?
Of course!

This is an old Canadian animation with the incomparable Burl Ives singing the original.

PS Fascinatingly, Burl Ives played in Irvin Berlin's This is the Army whose movie version starred Ronald Reagan

No comments: